Why choose Exeter Cathedral School?
Have you considered sending your child to Exeter Cathedral School but thought “my child isn’t musical so there is no point in sending him/her there?” or “the School is only for boys, or for choristers or boarders?” If so, you would be very mistaken. Come and visit us to see why.
If you head for our vibrant and energetic Pre-Prep department in Hall House, apart from the lovely “secret” garden in the heart of the City and view of the Cathedral, you will see that approximately half of the pupils are girls. You will find children as young as 3 years old busily occupied in our bright and colourful Nursery classroom.
In the Prep School you may meet some ten and eleven year olds fully immersed in a technology project or in a French lesson or setting out for a games fixture. These pupils are certainly not all here for their singing ability but they will almost certainly learn and enjoy developing their musical interest just by being in this environment.
There are currently 300 boys and girls between the ages of 3 and 13 at Exeter Cathedral School, of whom only 36 are Cathedral Choristers. All our pupils have an enormous number of varied and challenging opportunities available to them.
· A busy and dynamic Pre-Prep Department; from part-time attendance in our Nursery Class to the exciting curriculum offered in Year 2; clubs and activities, excursions and visits make for an energetic and enthusiastic start to school life.
· A broad and challenging academic programme with small teaching groups to maximise the potential in each child. Proven scholarship success to a wide range of Senior Schools.
· Sport; with 60+ fixtures against other Schools taking place each term.
· Food and Information technology; essential skills in today’s world.
· Vibrant Design Technology, Drama and Art Departments; contagious enthusiasm and encouragement to have a go!
· An adventurous Outdoor Pursuits programme – a walk on Snowdon, raft building, orienteering, learning to canoe and camp - the achievement and excitement of taking on a new challenge.
Music is, of course, an important part of our School; the children grow up with it all around them and are given every encouragement to participate. There are two wonderful school choirs for the 264 children who are not choristers and a wide range of instrumental groups, including a folk band, big band and string ensembles.
In the classroom children work hard and their academic achievements are testament to their and their teachers’ enthusiasm and effort. The majority of our pupils leave us at the age of 13 (at the end of Year 8). The School has an excellent and proven record of academic, music, art, drama and all-rounder scholarship success to a wide range of senior schools.
A small number of our pupils choose to board in our small, friendly boarding house adjoining the main school building on the Cathedral Close. Some of our boarders come from a distance and have to board, some live just round the corner but enjoy being a part of the flexible and friendly boarding environment.
Do come and see at first hand some of the things mentioned above. You will be made most welcome. Your child/ren will also be most welcome to spend a “taster day” with their peer group at whatever stage in the enquiry process is agreed as being most appropriate.