Catering at ECS is provided by local contractors, Palmer & Howells, a Bristol-based company that specialises in high quality catering services to independent schools and who understand the importance of providing healthy and nutritious meals which appeal to children.
Currently over 80% of pupils at Exeter Cathedral School have school lunches, the remaining preferring to bring in a packed meal.
A member of teaching staff is on duty in the dining room over the lunch time period to encourage good table manners, healthy eating habits and to provide assistance as needed. Teaching staff eat in the dining room with the children.
Our ECS catering team:
- provides a very personal service, getting to know every child and encouraging them in their diet and to try different foods;
- Freshly prepares dishes to traditional recipes, using meat, salad, vegetables and as many other items as possible from local suppliers;
- Offers a choice of hot dishes - vegetarian and non-vegetarian
- Offers a daily salad bar, as well as fruit at every meal to encourage regular eating of fresh vegetables and fruit;
- Has a nut free policy in its kitchen and caters for other special dietary requirements. The School's catering manager is always very pleased to talk to parents or pupils about any concerns regarding diet, food allergies etc and to offer support as appropriate;
- Runs monthly promotions offering different fruit and vegetables to encourage children to be adventurous with food;
- Provides drinks and home-made sandwiches or cakes for those pupils remaining at School for after-school-care or for an extra curricular club or activity.
Cost (Academic Year 2016/17)
Fees per year group.
Half a term's notice is required if a pupil wishes to stop having school lunches.
*Pupils in the Nursery Class are expected to bring a packed lunch if attending for a full day. School lunches are available from the Reception Class and beyond.
Menus are sent out to parents each week.